Monday, September 10, 2012

Serena Williams Wins 4th US Open

Al Bello / Getty Images 
Interesting Sports Fact: Serena Williams has 15 Grand Slam titles; the rest of today's active WTA players have a total of 19.

Go Serena Go Serena Go...

Serena Williams has just captured her fourth US Open title after going down two points and coming back to win the last four games, defeating Victoria Azarenka.  Williams became the first female tennis player to gain $40 million in earnings with her Sunday victory.
"I honestly can't believe I won.  I really was preparing my runner-up speech, because I thought 'Man, she's playing so great.' I'm really shocked." -Serena Williams
Williams has made history all around this year.  Williams is 26-1 since losing the French Open in May, winning Wimbledon as well as the London Olympics.  Serena has now become the first 30 year old woman to win the US Open since Martina Navratilova in 1987.

No comments:

Post a Comment