Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Another Day, Another Case of Steroids

Photo by J. Meric/ Getty Images
Marlon Byrd, OF, tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs.

The league announced Monday that Marlon Byrd had received a 50 game suspension after testing positive for the drug Tamoxifen and will remain on the restricted list until August 20th.  Although Byrd admitted to working with Victor Conte, in which Conte's Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative was at the center of the big steroid scandal involving Barry Bonds among others, Byrd released the following statement after being released:

"I made an inexcusable mistake. Several years ago, I had surgery for a condition that was private and unrelated to baseball.  Last winter, I suffered a recurrence of that condition and I was provided medication that resulted in my positive test.  I absolutely did not use it for performance enhancement reasons."

Byrd started this season playing with the Cubs but was later dealt to the Red Sox on April 21st.  Byrd was designated for assignment with the Boston Red Sox on June 9th and was released four days later.

No comments:

Post a Comment